Other taxes and levies | KPMG | GLOBAL

UK - Other taxes and levies

UK - Other taxes and levies

Taxation of international executives


Related content

Social security tax

Are there social security/social insurance taxes in the United Kingdom? If so, what are the rates for employers and employees?

Unless exempted by a reciprocal agreement or under the EEA rules, Class 1 National Insurance Contributions (“NICs”) are payable by both the employer and employee in respect of an employee working in the United Kingdom. The contributions are not deductible from compensation for income tax purposes. There is no ceiling in respect of employee or employer contributions.

Class 1 Primary NIC is payable by the employee at 12% for earnings between the Primary and Upper thresholds (GBP157 per week and GBP866 per week respectively) and at 2% thereafter.

Class 1 Secondary NIC is payable by employers at 13.8% on total compensation over the earnings threshold (GBP157 per week for the 2017/18 tax year).

Class 1A NIC (at the same rate) is paid by the employer only on most payments/benefits in-kind, such as rent, car, school fees, and so on. The benefit subject to Class 1A National Insurance is the same as computed for tax purposes.

The United Kingdom has concluded a number of social security treaties, which usually provide for limited periods of exemption from NIC (the U.S. treaty provides for a five-year exemption period if certain conditions are met) on the basis that contributions continue to be paid in the home country.

A secondee working in the United Kingdom from another EEA Member State might be covered by European Council regulations which, in prescribed circumstances, will exempt him/her from NIC, provided contributions continue to be paid in the home country.

If no treaty or EEA arrangements apply, a foreign national employed by an overseas employer and sent to the United Kingdom on a secondment will usually be entitled to a one-year exemption from NIC. The employer will also be exempt from NIC during this period. For a U.K. national employed in the U.K. and assigned to work overseas will usually continue to be liable for NIC for 52 weeks after departure. The employer will have a corresponding liability.

Gift, wealth, estate, and/or inheritance tax

Are there any gift, wealth, estate, and/or inheritance taxes in the United Kingdom? 

There is no wealth tax in the United Kingdom.

Inheritance tax is a capital tax, charged on assets passing on death, gifts made to most trusts throughout the donor’s lifetime and on gifts made to individuals within the seven years prior to death. Transfers between husband and wife (if they are both UK domiciled) are generally not chargeable, and various other relief and exemptions are available.

For an individual who is domiciled in the United Kingdom (whether U.K. resident or not), worldwide assets have to be taken into account. For a non-dom individual, only U.K. situated assets are subject to inheritance tax. Non-doms who have been resident in the UK for 17 out of 20 tax years are treated as deemed domiciled for IHT purposes (only) and so subject to U.K. IHT on worldwide assets.

As noted in the preamble, there is a proposal to reduce the time period required to become deemed domiciled for IHT purposes to 15 out of the previous 20 tax years. However, as also noted in the introductory comments (please refer to these comments before proceeding) the proposal was to have been introduced from 6 April 2017 but, as the General Election was called shortly after the last Budget, there was insufficient parliamentary time for the changes to be written into law. Whether the proposals will re-appear again depends on the outcome of the General Election.

Inheritance tax is payable only if the cumulative total of chargeable transfers exceeds the statutory limit for the tax year. This is currently set as GBP325,000. There is an additional nil-rate band when a residence is passed on death to a direct descendant. The current inheritance tax rate is 40%. For lifetime gifts to most trusts, if the value given up is over the statutory limit, an immediate inheritance tax charge of 20% arises on that excess value at the time of the transfer, with up to a further 20% chargeable if the donor dies within seven years.

As with other taxes, double tax relief may be available if assets are chargeable to inheritance tax in the United Kingdom and to a similar tax in another country.

Real estate tax

Are there real estate taxes in the United Kingdom? 

The sale or other transfer of real estate within the UK is subject to Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) at rates up to 12 percent (15 percent if not held personally). If the asset transferred is valued up to 125,000 GBP for residential property, or 150,000 GBP for non-residential property, no SDLT is due, subject to certain conditions. In Scotland SDLT does not apply instead a Land and Buildings Transaction Tax applies.

This is a fairly complex subject, and specific advice should be sought about any particular situation being considered.

Sales/VAT tax

Are there sales and/or value-added taxes in the United Kingdom?  

The United Kingdom imposes value-added tax (“VAT”). The system is administered by HMRC. VAT is a tax on consumer expenditure. Businesses (where they are VAT registered and fully taxable) do not bear the final costs of VAT. They are able to charge VAT on the supplies that they make (output VAT) and recover VAT on purchases that they have made (input VAT).

There are currently three rates of VAT - standard rate (20 percent, which is charged on the provision of most goods and services), zero rate (0 percent, which is charged on items such as food, books and children’s clothing), and reduced rate (5 percent, which is charged on fuel amongst others). Attributable input VAT is recoverable on these supplies by businesses.

Some goods and services may be exempt from VAT. Examples of exempt supplies include the provision of health and welfare, finance and land. No VAT is chargeable on exempt supplies. Businesses that make exempt supplies cannot reclaim input VAT.

Where a body makes both exempt and taxable supplies, it is regarded as partially exempt. There are methods that these kinds of businesses must use in order to establish the proportion of input tax incurred which they can recover.

Unemployment tax

Are there unemployment taxes in the United Kingdom? 

There is no unemployment tax in the United Kingdom.

Other taxes

Are there additional taxes in the United Kingdom that may be relevant to the general assignee? For example, customs tax, excise tax, stamp tax, and so on.

Local taxes

The only local tax for individuals is council tax and it is based on the value of an individual’s home. The charge varies from district to district. A similar tax applies to secondary residences and is paid by the tenant or the owner-occupier.

Stamp taxes

Stamp Duty Reserve Tax (“SDRT”) is payable when an interest / option / right in stocks and shares in UK companies or foreign companies with a UK share register are purchased in an electronic ‘paperless’ transaction. This is usually collected automatically and billed to the purchaser by their brokers. If the individual does not use a broker, they must ensure that HMRC are notified of the purchase and the SDRT paid by the appropriate deadline.

SDRT is charged at 0.5 percent of the actual consideration paid for the securities, rounded to the nearest penny.

If an individual purchases the securities by paper (usually applicable for private companies), Stamp Duty is payable. Again, the purchaser is responsible for notifying HMRC of the transaction and paying the Stamp Duty. Where consideration has been paid, Company Secretaries are not permitted to update the company share register unless they receive a stock transfer form “stamped” by HMRC to confirm the duty has been paid.

Stamp Duty is payable by the purchaser and is chargeable at 0.5 percent of the actual consideration paid for the shares., rounded down to the nearest GBP5. 

© 2018 KPMG LLP, a United Kingdom legal liability partnership and a member firm of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”), a Swiss entity. All rights reserved.

Connect with us


Request for proposal