Led by former IRS senior excise tax counsel, KPMG’s Excise Tax practice in Washington National Tax guides clients across all affected industries through a wide range of complex excise tax issues.
In an area that possesses a myriad of specialized rules, our team helps clients understand their excise tax positions while helping them manage risks and identify potential opportunities for available tax refunds and credits related to excise taxation.
We can help with:
- Evaluating a company's excise tax positions
- Advising on the reduction of future excise tax exposure
- Managing risks related to excise taxation
- Identifying refund and credit opportunities pertaining to excise taxation
- Streamlining excise tax-related administrative processes
- Assisting with excise tax planning, including preparation and review of requests for letter rulings and IRS pre-filing agreements
- Providing compliance services related to excise tax rules and regulations, including excise tax return and claim filings
- Considering penalty standards and pursuing opportunities for relief, including penalties for the late filing of excise tax returns, late payments, and late or missing excise tax deposits
- Supporting clients in complex IRS examinations or at the IRS appeal level, including anticipating, managing, and responding to excise tax issues raised by the IRS and assisting in the drafting of requests for technical advice
- Working with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) in relation to client examinations and ruling requests.
About our Excise Tax team
Our Excise Tax team is comprised of former IRS Office of Chief Counsel excise tax attorneys who were responsible for published guidance on excise taxes, technical advice to IRS tax agents, and letter rulings to taxpayers.
Our Excise Tax team is part of KPMG’s Washington National Tax practice and works with professionals throughout KPMG's Tax, Audit, and Advisory divisions to identify federal excise tax issues across various industry sectors in an effort to provide wide-ranging services to clients.
Our excise tax experience includes:
- Energy and environmental taxes including conventional and renewable fuels
- Healthcare related taxes including medical devices and branded prescription drug fee
- Manufacturers taxes including heavy vehicles, sporting goods, firearms and ammunition
- Taxes on heavy vehicles
- Alcohol and tobacco taxes
- Foreign insurance excise tax