Mark’s experience in large-scale systems integration consulting has been mostly all in the public sector – with the majority of that in the State and Local market. He has significant experience with a number of social service programs including Child Welfare, Child Support Enforcement, Medicaid, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). He also has significant experience with The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, enacted as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 as well as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010.
Mark also has experience in the private sector where he was the Chief Technology Officer for three startups in the consumer and public health markets: Chexout, U.S. Preventive Medicine, and The Health Record Network Foundation.
Professional and industry experience
Core strengths and accomplishments include:
- Served as the program manager for the FFM - a key component of President Obama’s signature healthcare legislation – the Affordable Care Act. Was responsible for the overall delivery of the marketplace functionality including the three main modules – Eligibility and Enrollment, Plan Management, and Financial Management working with multiple CMS centers and offices.
- Created an offering that was delivered to States as a managed service in support of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. This offering supported State Medicaid agencies that are responsible for applying for, managing and distributing incentive payments to eligible professionals and hospitals that are "meaningful users" of EHR technology.
- Acted as the Chief Technologist for start-up aimed at becoming the leader in Preventive Services in the world. The company developed a suite of prevention, early detection and chronic condition management products and services that improve health outcomes while reducing health care costs. Responsible for setting the technology strategy for the company, directing all software development activities, and managing the complete technical infrastructure.
- Responsible for directing the Chief Technology Office for the public sector group of a major IT consulting company. Responsible for setting the technology strategy, managing technical quality control on all large-scale pursuits, creating the public sector technology ecosystem, providing technology oversight to direct projects, providing senior level consulting to projects, and leading technology innovations across State & Local, Federal Civilian, and Defense & Intelligence groups.
- Provided thought leadership and led the design for the Integrated Client Management System (ICMS), an application developed for the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJFS). The system was designed in concert with representatives from Ohio’s most progressive counties in the Ohio Works First (OWF) initiative – Ohio’s welfare reform initiative.
- Provided senior level technical consulting to multiple health and human services projects across, including projects for the Texas Department of Human Services (Integrated Eligibility), New Hampshire Department of Human Services (Child Support Enforcement).
- Provided senior project, risk, and technical management for a number of child welfare projects across the country: Rhode Island, New Mexico, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Illinois, and Washington. Also provided support for projects in other human services domains including Texas (Integrated Eligibility) and New Hampshire (Child Support Enforcement).
- Started the child welfare practice by developing the first statewide Child Welfare Information system (SACWIS) for the State of Connecticut (LINK). The resulting product has become the standard for other states and was nationally recognized as the country’s premier child welfare system.
- Initially proposed the idea of XML standards for child welfare and founded the working group that began developing the pilot. This effort was jointly managed by commercial, non-profit and state government entities.
- Application Development: Project Management Software, Development Lifecycle Software, Application Lifecycle Management Tools, SCRUM, Software Development Frameworks.
- Computing Platforms: Cloud Computing, VMware, Workstations & Server Hardware, Mainframes, Storage Hardware, Network and Communication Hardware, Special Purpose Hardware, and Mobile Devices.
- Infrastructure Software: Web & Application servers, Application Integration & Middleware Software, Data and Database Management Software, Operating Systems, Security Software, Interface Software, Infrastructure Management Software, Systems Management Software