Spreadsheet-based modelling can provide business leaders with flexible tools to help make informed decisions, but such tools can suffer from a lack of quality, robustness, security and reliability. This could have a severe impact on the quality of decision-making.According to a KPMG survey, 70 percent of models contained errors that affected their results and over 75 percent of models had no formal quality assurance procedures.
KPMG’s Modelling team can help you build bespoke financial models that are flexible, robust, accurate and easy-to-use, with clear reports to deliver tangible business benefits. We also review and test models to enhance their quality and reliability, improving the overall quality of decision-making or third-party confidence in the outputs.
What’s on your mind?
- Do you have the right information at the right time?
- How confident are you that your existing models are error-free, robust and reliable?
- Do you know the key assumptions and drivers used to generate management information and key metrics?
- Are you able to flex those assumptions easily and assess the impact on decisions?
- How much is poor quality information costing you?
Bringing you peace of mind
Modelling advisory and consulting services
- Strategic Modelling and Option Appraisals: We build models to quantify and evaluate strategic directions or business options and scenarios.
- Transaction and Deal Modelling: We construct projection and valuation models to reflect the economics of the deal, the contractual terms, operational, accounting and tax assumptions, financing proposals and investor returns.
- Bid Modelling: We prepare financial models that meet best practice requirements, are robust, reliable and comply with the bid requirements. This enables the bidder to accurately price its bid.
- Operational Models: We build spreadsheet /database tools for quantifying and forecasting specific business operations. This includes budgeting, management and financial reporting, cash flow or treasury management, capital expenditure programs and working capital management.
- Restructuring and Financing Models: We build restructuring models to reflect financing requirements, capital structure scenarios, cash waterfalls, distributions and impact of new capital structures.
- Cost Optimisation Models: We construct bespoke tools for cost optimisation programs, including evaluation of outsourcing plans, managing staff costs and their impact on operational efficiency, profitability and shareholder value.
- Tactical (interim) solutions: We build fast-track bespoke solutions that offer the client flexible reporting, immediate business benefits and key user functionality at a fraction of the time and cost of larger, more cumbersome enterprise-wide solutions.
Modelling assurance services
- Model audits: We provide independent assurance on the accuracy, robustness and reliability of financial models, using specialist auditing software tools and a rigorous methodology.
- Design advice: We provide upfront advice on structural specification, design and construction, to improve robustness and reduce the risk of costly re-work.
- Contract compliance: We test inputs, assumptions and calculations against contractual documents and provide independent assurance that key contract terms have been accurately reflected in the model.
- Bespoke testing and model validation: We can focus on specific areas of concern or high risk aspects.
What’s in it for you?
- Improve the quality of your decision-making – Our modelling tools are flexible and are built to meet your precise information requirements
- Enhance the transparency of assumptions underlying your decisions – We clarify, articulate and document the key assumptions and drivers in your business.
- Trust – We provide you with robust tools that you and your stakeholders can trust or with independent quality assurance on your own tools.