Tax authorities worldwide are under increasing pressure to generate revenue, causing a rise in tax audit activity across all taxing jurisdictions and all types of tax. Particular uncertainty can arise as global businesses seek to access new and developing markets where the local tax environment may be unfamiliar and extremely unpredictable.
This pressure on tax authorities is resulting in more investigation, larger adjustments, and increased potential for penalties and interest. Wherever you do business, it’s important to approach your tax matters proactively and be ready to respond if and when a local tax investigation begins. KPMG’s Dispute Resolution & Controversy professionals can help you prepare to manage any tax authority challenge that comes your way.
When your organization finds itself under the tax collector’s microscope, will you be ready to take control and manage the tax controversy and resolution process?
- What protocols do you have in place to actively manage and address tax risk to avoid future tax disputes and exposures?
- Have you proactively and thoroughly documented your uncertain tax positions and your tax transactions, including cross-border transfer prices?
- Are your analyses of your tax positions well stated, complete, and supported by relevant documentation?
- Do you have a process in place for retaining confidential tax analyses under the protection of legal privilege in all relevant jurisdictions where a form of this protection is available?
- Have you formulated a broad-ranging strategy for engaging with the tax authorities in order to resolve disputed or controversial tax issues?
- Do you have a clear picture of possible resolution scenarios, whether by negotiated resolution or, in some jurisdictions and if necessary, litigation of disputed tax issues?
- Do you know your options for dealing with a number of open enquiries strategically rather than on a piecemeal basis?
- Are you engaging with the tax authorities in the most effective way?
- Have you considered the impact of the resolution of your tax positions in all affected jurisdictions?
- We know the right questions to ask. KPMG’s highly trained professionals have years of experience working as members of the tax authorities and in private practice.
- We can help you reduce costs and save time. By identifying potentially contentious issues early in the process and developing appropriate responses, we can save you time and money.
- As a full-service provider, we leverage tax, legal, and other specialties from around the world to assist in multi-jurisdictional tax controversies.