Sonia Sun leads the firm’s financial and banking practice and is also an active member of KPMG Group’s Financial Service Advisory Group. Her areas of practice include financial institutions, PE/VC funds, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Sonia constantly advises local and foreign financial institutions on various transactions, approval/registration, Fintech/payment investment and compliance-related projects. Prior to joining KPMG, Sonia Sun was senior counsel with a major financial institution where she took charge of legal support for the bank’s overseas investment and private equity operations. She had in-depth experience advising private equity and venture capital firms in connection with all aspects of their fund businesses, from structuring and formation of sponsor and PE funds, executing acquisitions and exit transactions, to providing corporate and financing advice to portfolio companies. Earlier in her legal career, Sonia had also practiced in the United States where she specialized in banking regulations, mergers and acquisitions for banks and securities law compliance.
Key Areas of Experience
- Financial Institutions and FinTech – Advises banks, financial holding companies, insurance companies, securities firms and fund managers on regulatory, licensing/registration, enforcement, financial transactions, M&As, AML (Anti-money Laundering) and compliance-related projects. Sonia provides intellectual property, transactional and regulatory advice to a wide array of both established and emerging participants in the FinTech field.
- PE/VC Representation – Advising private equity and venture capital firms in connection with all aspects of their business operations, including structuring and formation of sponsor and PE funds, executing investment and exit transactions. Sonia also advises both GPs and LPs (such as insurance companies and corporate investors) in the drafting and negotiation of fund investment documents (LPA, side letters, etc.). Sonia also represents many portfolio companies in angel and venture capital financings.
- M&A – Sonia Sun advises companies in cross-border mergers, acquisitions, investments and joint ventures (involving parties located around the world, including United States, mainland China, Europe, Southeast Asia and Northeast Asia). Typical services include deal structuring, legal due diligence, regulatory filings and approvals, contract drafting and negotiation, closing and post-closing management, dispute resolutions, etc.
- Capital Market – Sonia Sun has extensive experience advising both issuers and underwriters across a wide range of countries/regions in various types of securities offerings (including overseas offerings of ECBs and GDRs, IPOs in Taiwan by foreign issuers, and TDRs), public company M&As and corporate governance matters.
Professional Service Experience
- Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Securities/Capital Market
- Corporate Finance & Financial Products
- Corporate & Business Transactions
- Cross-border Investment and Transactions
- International Dispute Resolutions