The ASEAN+ Practice Group acts as a priority gateway to assist firms doing business in ASEAN+ countries with their investments in Thailand.
Acts as a priority gateway to assist firms doing business in ASEAN+ countries.
We act as a strategic partner working closely with our clients to help them to mitigate risks and identify opportunities in order to create long-term value and sustainable growth.
While assisting companies in Thailand in outbound investment across the region and beyond, we focus on fast-growing emerging countries including Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, and Vietnam (“CLMV”).
CLMV countries have high import demand, abundant natural resources and low-cost labour and are open for investment from outside. These benefits, coupled with their open trade policy and advantageous geographical location, have made CLMV an attractive prospect for investors.
Nevertheless, as with any outbound investment, there are particular risks and challenges which businesses may face when doing business in each CLMV country. These include tax and regulations, infrastructure, labour, language and culture, and accounting and finance issues, which should be evaluated to avoid any value leakage and mitigate risks from the outset.
Considerations for ASEAN outbound investment
Considering the substantial economic growth of ASEAN countries, and CLMV in particular, many businesses in Thailand have made a great deal of effort to penetrate and build-up their presence in these markets. Investing beyond the Thai border can be complex and requires investors to assess different areas such as:
• Local tax rules
• Foreign investment law
• Marketing and commercial trends
• Cultural and language barriers
• Workforce regulation
• Availability of skilled labour
• Financial reporting and accounting issues
• Infrastructure and logistics
• Corporate governance and controls
• Funding structure and treasury management
How we can help
Connected through KPMG’s global network, we bring together professionals across the globe with different skills as well as extensive experience in strategic investment throughout all stages of the business lifecycle.
Our cross border teams work together to assist our clients to succeed in various ways including:
• Market entry appraisal, strategy development and execution
• Investment opportunity identification and analysis
• Commercial, financial, tax, and legal due diligence
• Joint-venture design and execution
• Business valuation and financial modelling
• Tax structuring and advice
• Sale and Purchase Agreement advice and deal negotiation
• Post-merger integration and separation
• Business process and internal control implementation and/or improvement
• Accounting advisory service (e.g. TFRS conversion)
• Assurance service
We offer global connectivity through KPMG in Thailand’s ASEAN+ team with significant ‘hands on’ involvement from our senior members who will be fully accountable and ‘on-call’ throughout your investment lifecycle to help create long-term business value.
We help businesses by navigating them through these complexities and help unlock value by identifying key risks and opportunities at every stage of the acquisition.
ASEAN+ Countries Tax Profiles
Brunei 2015 (PDF 477 KB)
Cambodia 2015 (PDF 1206 KB)
China 2015 (PDF 528 KB)
India 2015 (PDF 1256 KB)
Indonesia 2015 (PDF 407 KB)
Japan 2015 (PDF 594 KB)
Korea 2015 (PDF 771 KB)
Laos 2015 (PDF 309 KB)
Malaysia 2015 (PDF 406 KB)
Myanmar 2015 (PDF 401 KB)
Philippines 2015 (PDF 817KB)
Singapore 2015 (PDF 704 KB)
Thailand 2015 (PDF 513 KB)
Vietnam 2015 (PDF 2159 KB)