Stanislav has about 25 years of practical experience in the legal sphere. He has been working with KPMG for 20 years. Before joining KPMG, he worked as the Head of the Legal Department at a Russian bank.
Stanislav has significant multidisciplinary experience in advising on various areas of law including tax and customs, currency, civil and labor law. A great number of projects was implemented under his supervision, including legal, currency, civil and customs risks assessment in business, structuring of sustainable business models, business risk mitigation procedures, business restructuring, comprehensive transaction support, successful litigation support, etc. Stanislav has an impressive extensive experience in representing interests of KPMG clients in a wide range of tax disputes at pre-litigation and litigation stages, including in supreme courts.
His clients include major foreign and Russian companies engaged in various sectors, including transport and logistics, construction and real estate, manufacturing and trade, oil and gas, pulp and paper, pharmaceutical industry, mass media, telecommunications and entertainment, financial sector, infrastructure, etc.
His experience includes:
- Success in the Supreme arbitration court on behalf of one of the leading developers at the commercial real estate market. Supporting by KPMG team headed by Stanislav, the client successfully appealed against additional tax charges of approximately RUB 500 million. Notably, the client engaged KPMG after the court of first instance and the court of appeal had denied its claims twice.
- A tax dispute won for a major pharmaceutical company at all three court instances. The tax authorities had challenged the deductibility of costs of lectures delivered to medical workers, and the amount in question exceeded RUB 100 million.
- A case won at all three court instances. It concerned the deductibility of management fees for the services rendered by the group service center for tax purposes in Russia. Despite the negative practice and low chances of winning, Stanislav managed to build up sustainable arguments, collect supporting documentation, and develop a strategy of presenting evidence to the court, which enabled the company to challenge tax charges totaling approximately RUB 150 million and also escape the same tax claims in the course of further tax audits.
- Reversal of a resolution passed by the tax authority at the higher tax authority of St Petersburg against a leading car manufacturer regarding transfer pricing issues. The tax effect for the company exceeded RUB 100 million. Remarkably, the higher tax authority had supervised the entire tax audit process from the very beginning, however, Stanislav and his colleagues managed to convince the higher tax authority that the company’s position was stronger.
- He helped a foreign pharmaceutical distributor reduce additional tax charges by a factor of 40 (from RUB 100 mln to RUB 2.5 mln) at the stage of considering tax audit materials.
- Thanks to a well-thought defense strategy implemented while developing and considering objections to the tax audit report, a leading developer at the commercial real estate market managed to escape additional tax charges in the amount exceeding RUB 70 million at the stage of considering tax audit materials.
In the Media
An article for Delovoy Peterburg on a new Tax Code Article regulating the right of a taxpayer to reduce the tax base.