History | KPMG | PL

History

History

KPMG has been operating in Poland since 1990.

KPMG has been operating in Poland since 1990.

The beginnings of the firm go back to the 19th century, the period in which the founding firms were forming.

The KPMG network of firms that now operates in 152 markets worldwide was established in 1987 through the merger of Peat Marwick International (PMI) and Klynveld Main Goerdeler (KMG). At the time, it was the biggest merger in the history of the accountancy sector, while the company’s name derives from the initials of the constituent firms, our founding fathers.

History of the firm’s name

The company’s name KMPG is an acronym formed by the initials of the key founding companies:

K: Piet Klynveld – the founder of Klynveld Kraayenhof & Co., a Dutch accounting firm established in 1917;

P: William Barclay Peat – the founder of William Barclay Peat & Co., a London accounting firm established in 1870;

M: James Marwick – a co-founder of Marwick, Mitchell & Co., an accounting firm established in 1897 in New York City together with Roger Mitchell, which merged with William Barclay Peat & Co. in 1911 to form Peat Marwick, Mitchell & Co., later renamed Peat Marwick International (PMI);

G: Dr Reinhard Goerdeler – the longstanding management board president and honorary supervisory board chairman of Deutsche Treuhand-Gesellschaft, and subsequently the president of Klynveld Main Goerdeler (KMG).
 

History of KPMG in Poland

KPMG was one of the first of the international audit and advisory companies to enter the Polish market. The first Polish office of KPMG opened in Warsaw, in May 1990. The high demand for professional audit and advisory services led us to open subsequent offices: in Kraków and Poznań (1995), Wrocław (2005), Gdańsk and Katowice (2007) and Łódź (2013). After 15 years, the company changed the location of its Warsaw head office, which since 17 August 2015 has been housed in the Gdański Business Center building at 4A Inflancka Street, next to the Dworzec Gdański metro station. Currently, our seven offices employ more than 1,800 staff, which makes us one of the largest providers of professional services in the Polish market, one managed by 52 partners, with Senior Partner Andrzej Ścisłowski at the helm.

Key dates:

1990 – the first Polish KPMG office opens in Warsaw

1995 – offices open in Kraków and Poznań

2005 – the Wrocław office opens

2007 – offices open in Gdańsk and Katowice

2013 – the office in Łódź opens

Connect with us

 

Request for proposal

 

Submit