The UAE Ministry of Finance had previously announced that the Excise Tax Law would come into effect in the UAE from October 1, 2017. Today, the UAE Federal Tax Authority (‘FTA’) issued a registration user guide on Excise Tax (‘Guide’)
The Guide states that persons or businesses involved in the following activities related to excise goods (namely tobacco products, energy drinks and carbonated drinks) are now required to register for Excise Tax:
1. Production of excise goods in the State (UAE), where such production is in the course of doing business and the products are released for consumption in the UAE
2. Import of excise goods into the UAE
3. Release of excise goods from a designated zone
4. Stockpiling of excise goods in the State (UAE), where such stockpiling is in the course of doing business and
5. Anyone who is responsible for overseeing an excise warehouse or designated zone, i.e. warehouse keeper.
The FTA, has announced that the online registration for Excise Tax for businesses will open on Sunday, 17 September, providing an integrated system to serve the business sectors. Eligible persons and/or businesses have until Thursday, 28 September to register, click here.
The documents required during the application process include:
• Trade License(s) (if applicable)
• Certificate of Incorporation (if applicable)
• Customs number(s) issued by Customs department(s) (if applicable)
• Passport, Emirates ID of the manager, owner and senior management
• Authorized Signatory documents
• Articles of Association/Partnership Agreement/Club or Association Registration/Law or Decree (if applicable)
• Bank Account details
Should you require any assistance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact our tax experts.
© 2017 KPMG, KPMG LLP and KPMG Lower Gulf Limited, registered in the UAE and member firms of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”), a Swiss entity. All rights reserved.